Does your office environment affect productivity? The simple answer is yes. Creating a vibrant and positive office space can improve staff morale and efficiency as well as help you make the right impression on clients. What is more, it doesn’t have to mean a large capital outlay as businesses can finance an entire office fit out or refit as well as furniture through a lease agreement.
A study by the Commission for Architecture & the Built Environment and the British Council for Offices has revealed that even simple things such as good lighting can reduce absenteeism by 15 per cent and increase productivity by between 2.8% and 20%. It also found that an employee’s workplace is responsible for 24% of their job satisfaction and this can affect performance by 5%.
There are a number of elements to consider when refurbishing your work premises. These include:
- Colour scheme: The use of colour can have a significant positive or negative affect on employees. For example, neutral colours can be calming while the use of a bright colour as an accent can have an invigorating affect.
- Lighting: Studies show a strong correlation between natural light and employee efficiency. Maximizing natural daylight can create a positive atmosphere and mood, where as a lack of light or dim artificial lighting can be depressing. New lighting including LED lighting can be leased.
- Layout: Partitions or open plan? The layout of a workplace should aid employees in their work and, if hosting customers, should be welcoming. Consider the work and needs of a department or employee, some may need to be able to interact easily across a space and others may need privacy and quiet.
- Ergonomic furniture: It is essential that furniture meets the needs of the user, being both comfortable and functional, in order to minimise the risk of injury and maximise performance.
- Acoustics and temperature: Noise levels and temperature in any office are important factors to ensure a pleasant work environment without unnecessary distraction or irritation.
When moving to new offices or injecting new life into your current premises, it is important that your interior reflects your company’s ethos and values, provides a positive work environment for staff and makes the right first impression with potential clients. Get it right and it can lead to increased productivity, improved staff morale and reduced absenteeism.
Your interior makeover doesn’t have to come at a high price either when you use leasing for your office refurbishment or fit out – from planning and design to interior finishes and installation, through a flexible lease. Lighting, flooring, furnishings, computer equipment and even moving services can be covered under one agreement. This means you only need to pay one monthly or quarterly payment for multiple suppliers.
With leasing, you can choose exactly what you need without compromising your cash flow or existing lines of credit, and spread the cost of the project over a number of years. Plus, lease payments can even be tailored to match seasonal cash flow and be set against profits to potentially reduce your tax bills.
For more information about improving your office environment and productivity with leasing for furniture and interior design you can download the Dream Office brochure and also the WestWon Finance for Interior Projects Factsheet. Tel: WestWon on 01494 611 456 for details and lease pricing.